Pedestrians, cyclists and drivers all deserve safe roads. Over the last year we have seen a staggering increase in collisions that have endangered and tragically taken the lives of people in our city. Children should be safe to use our roads to get to school, cyclists whether for recreation or as their main form of transportation should bike free of fear. It is my commitment to ensure our streets are safe for all users.
Over the next four years I will work with City Council, staff and the community to:
- Take bold action to end collisions involving pedestrians and cyclists on our streets.
- Fix existing problems and improve the standard of our roads to make them safer.
How we’ll do it:
- Champion the ongoing work at City Hall to implement Hamilton's Vision Zero action plan that began in 2019, furthering our progress on improving roadway safety through evaluation, engineering, enforcement and engagement initiatives like new speed cushion locations, new pedestrian crossovers, designating community safety zones, and more traffic signage.
- Implement relevant recommendations of the Red Hill Valley Parkway Inquiry ensure roads are safe.
- Provide dedicated focus to improving the safety of roads, expressways and connections to provincial highways as we work to update our infrastructure.